Thursday, March 17, 2011

A little goes a long way

This past Christmas I got each of the ladies in my community book club an LCD booklight. So many of us use the Amazon Kindle (which does not have a light) and I have found my booklight to be so useful! It really was nothing significant and they didn't cost me more than $5/each. I wrapped each one carefully and tied a ribbon and attached a Holiday Poem (poetry has always been December's theme for bookclub). It was small, but I felt that each of the ladies would be delighted with the modest gift. I placed each gift in their mailbox and that was that.

While sitting watching television with my family this evening, the phone rings; its our neighbor, Martha. She asked if she could stop by the house to drop something off. It was odd. We don't normally call each other on the phone or visit each other's homes unless there is some sort of community event. I told her "sure" and in less than 5 minutes our doorbell rings.

Martha is in her 70's. She is absolutely lovely. She's a real southern belle; I don't know when she moved here, but she has a thick sweet southern accent. She informs me that her and her husband have just returned from Africa. The retired couple travels often, always visiting exotic places! She goes on to tell me that she packed her booklight and one night she ended up having to use it as a flashlight to find her way around late one night. She then goes on to say, it was so effective and easy to keep with her (and clip to her) that she ended up using it the entire 3.5 weeks they were there!!! She said through the entire trip she thought of me and how thoughtful it was that I gave her that booklight. Who would have thought!?!?!

So she brought me back a gorgeous handcarved wooden fork and spoon set; the handles shaped like giraffes. They are magnificent! I am so touched! She brought these all the way back from Africa for ME?!?!? I was literally moved to tears!

Its amazing to me how small acts of kindness can affect people so greatly. I will cherish these forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment