Monday, March 22, 2010

Empathy and Comfort

On the car ride home today, my daughter announces that she's been having trouble sleeping at night because she hears noises. I tell her that sometimes houses make noise or it could be the wind or an animal in the woods. She doesn't find comfort in my words. She continues to explain how she's afraid of the dark and she doesn't want to sleep when she hears scary noises.

After several moments of silence (I was at a loss at how to comfort her and assure her that she was safe and that everything was ok) my two-year-old son speaks up and says, "Marissa, there are no monsters in the house, only storms outside. Storms are always happy and they will not scare you." I wanted to laugh, then cry, at the sincere honesty and care that my young son offered to his sister! He was so "matter-of-fact" and brave. The two of them chatted all the way home about monsters and storms and wouldn't you know it, we didn't hear a word about being scared of noises or the dark when it was time for bed this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment