Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Routine Readiness

For the month of August, I'm desperately trying to get back into a routine so that I don't go into shock when the beginning of the school year arrives. I've been getting up at 4:30am, going to workout, home by 6:15 and then I start the morning shuffle of breakfast, showers, packing lunches, and getting the kids where they need to be and rolling into the office by 9am. This has been great practice and I think I'm getting the hang of it (a few minor lapses, let's call those "MONDAYS", but overall I'm doing very well!)

My biggest concern and reason for getting into this routine is that I know that life is drastically going to change when we add the puppy to the mix. Puppies are a lot of work; housetraining, crate training, exercising, feeding, playing, etc... Those things take TIME and puppies don't understand that there is a 30 minute commute, that the kids have to be at a certain place at a certain time and that she's only going to get about 20 minutes to do her business and then she's just SOL until our next stop. I've got to get myself organized so that I can devote the necessary time to get the puppy acclimated with our lifestyle and make sure that this transition is a happy one. I know this is not going to be easy and that there are going to be times when I question what the hell I was thinking bringing a dog into our craziness, but I know that this is going to be a lifelong commitment that brings our family much joy.

This morning, I realized that a 4:30am wake-up and a 7:30am school departure time does not really allow much time to dilly dally. I've got to make sure I've got a system down and that I'm fully prepared to get things moving in the morning. I think I need to sit down with my hubby so we can develop an effective plan... However, we all know about plans, right? I'll plan and the kids and dog will plan something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment