Sunday, July 19, 2009

Part-time or Lifetime?

I am not and will never claim to be a "righteous" type of person. I don't attend church regularly, I do not bow my head in prayer to appease an audience and I do not feel it necessary to inform all those around me of my deep love for Christ and/or of my religion. I do not condone those who feel it is their calling to live a life dedicated to their religion and their savior, but I do raise an eyebrow when I meet someone who makes such claims but their daily actions reflect otherwise.


I grew up in a home that was heavily influenced by the practices and beliefs of the Southern Baptist Church. I learned about accepting Jesus into our hearts, the importance of reading the scripture, the sacrament of baptism etc etc etc. Ironically, I didn't feel that I gained the majority of my moral guidance from my family or the church where we attended. As I grew into myself and learned to question my life, my surroundings and my personal goals, I was able to reflect, research and reach out to the necessary tools to faciliate my personal relationship with Christ.

Today, my husband and I decided to take our children to Hershey Park, PA for a day trip. During the car ride, my husband and I began to have a conversation about how we feel we are raising our children and modeling what it means to be virtuous and show good moral standing. I started to think about the experiences that I have with people and if my interactions with others on a daily basis reflect a christian life.

I think about a few people that I know who attend church weekly, sometimes multiple days a week; those who hypocritically wear the cross pendant delicately dangling from their necks as they speak of holiness and virtue and with the next breath boast of their plans for deceit and lust. Maybe I'm being harsh, but recent events have soured my thoughts and feelings for the "part-time" christian. In my private moments in prayer, I think of those souls and I pray that they find their path.

Some may argue that a true christian should take every opportunity to share their love and beliefs and I cannot argue with that point. Actions speak louder than words and that is truly all that I can say on the matter. Choose your steps carefully, it is not only God who is watching, but all others who look to you and wish to see your divine journey.

My post this evening has strong feelings and can be read as negative and cross towards christianity. I apologize for any misunderstanding as that is not the case. However, I AM angry. I AM furious that people feel that they can hide behind holy words and claim to be something that they are clearly not. What sort of message does that say about christians? Can we openly live a life of sin and simply laugh it off that Jesus will forgive us tomorrow? Can we pick and choose when we want to be christian? I will not raise my children to be "part-time christians" I hope that I teach them the value of a lifetime devoted to Christ. Each step, each word, each action, a true reflection of what it means to be a good person both inside and out. Let's remember the, unfortunately, ever-so-trendy but all to real question, " What Would Jesus Do?" as we walk through our life.

I believe that in order to be a lifetime christian, our actions must reflect our hearts. Do not claim to be something you are not. If you talk the talk, then walk the walk. I ask others to be patient with me and my imperfections, because I'm still a work in progress.

I do not judge others who make poor choices, live life in a less christian manner, or struggle with their own peronal journey with God. I only ask that we all not claim to be something we're not. If you stumble, reach out to those that can help you find your way. When others need guidance and support, help lead the way by heart and your actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment