Monday, April 4, 2011

Disconnected

Over the last several months, I've really been evaluating my relationships with people. I find myself calling people out to the floor and standing up for myself more. On the flip side of that, I've also been just letting relationships fizzle while avoiding confrontation. We've all had those relationships, the ones that take more effort to keep united than you actually should put into it. It doesn't mean that the people are necessarily bad people, it just means your season is up. Not every relationship has to end in a bang. Sometimes, it just needs to fade out silently because there really isn't a "fault" of anyone's...its just a passing.

I've always kept in the back of mind: "A reason; a season; a lifetime. When you know why someone is in your life, you'll know exactly what to do." This quote has really helped me at times put into perspective what my relationships are and what value we bring to each other's lives. Recently, I've found myself looking deep into my relationships and evaluating what value we bring to each other. Sadly, I'm finding that I put a lot of effort into things that bring me value or allow me to give much value. I'm constantly finding myself exhausted and scrambling to spare people's feelings. Remembering this quote helps me understand what the relationship was/is in my life and also helps me evaluate whether it is something I need to put more effort into or just let subside.

So right now, I'm feeling disconnected as I evaluate my life and my efforts into relationships. How do I want to spend my valuable time? Why do I put so much effort into people who don't value me? Hopefully, I'll get my thoughts together and start feeling good about the relationships I have with people.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Alice! I'm so grateful to have you in my life, even though we're so far apart. I know I can always count on you and I hope you know you can always count on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lolly, you're my SISTER. Plain and simple. You're stuck with me whether you like it or not :)

    Happy Birthday, my love!

    ReplyDelete