Friday, April 29, 2011

No apologies.

I've often times been the butt of a joke in that my kids are always so "done up" or "put together". Usually that's followed up with advice that I just need to let my kids be kids and dress themselves or fix their own hair or show their own creativity. I always have to roll my eyes at this.

Just because your child looks a mess doesn't mean that you're supporting great creative genious in your offspring...it only means that the child was solely responsible for their appearance. On the other hand, just because my children are dressed nicely, with meticulously fixed hair and coordinating accessories, that does not mean that I'm a controlling "Mommy Dearest". You choose your creativity and I'll choose to teach my children how to be well-groomed individuals.

Creativity and self expression can be fostered in so many areas of life. My children choose clothes that fit their style and their mood; I simply show them a nice way of putting everything together. My children are well mannered, well groomed and YES they are put together!

Isn't that what society looks at later in life? When you go for a job interview, you should look your best! When you date...you groom yourself to attract your partner, correct? Even the most creative individuals I know are well put together; they are stylish, colorful, eclectic!

My children are happy and CUTE! I know I'm biased, but I think they look adorable and they look well cared for and they feel good about their looks. They are CONFIDENT. So if you don't feel like dressing your children up or fixing their hair...fine. That's your prerogative! Don't hide behind "promoting creativity". I choose to teach my children to look their best and take pride in their appearance. No apologies here.

1 comment: