Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Kindergarten Readiness


With my education background and working with my own preschool and children, I have learned, created and implemented many strategies and practices that focus on Kindergarten Readiness. I have spent countless hours and endless amounts of energy doing everything I could possibly think of to provide a learning environment that fostered growth and development for young students.

Over the years I have researched curricula and worked diligently to ensure that my preschool and ultimately MY child would be equipped with the tools necessary for her to succeed in elementary school and further more as a life-long learner. This is what we call, "Kindergarten Readiness". Marissa will go to a fantastic Kindergarten in the fall and I could not feel any more confident that she is beyond prepared...however, I. AM. NOT.

How does a parent even begin to cope with the idea that their child will enter the big world of institutionalized learning?!?!? (Ok, so I know I can get through this, like all parents do; perhaps I'm being a little dramatic) My child will trot off into the morning horizon, toting her pink with purple polka dot back pack and this will be the first of many steps she will take farther and farther away from me.

So how does a mother go through "Kindergarten Readiness"? I have visited the school, met the administration, met the school nurse, the teachers, etc. I've requested that they put me on speed dial (half joking) and I have assured them that I will volunteer for anything that they may need me to do to assist them in my child's learning. Maybe this would have been easier for me had she attended a preschool program away from me. I have always felt that I was able to provide both her and myself with the best possible situation being that I own and operate the child care center and preschool where she has attended since her birth. I wonder if I only convinced myself that out of selfishness for not wanting to share her with the world. I have no doubt that Marissa will not only adjust well into Kindergarten, I am certain she will excell. I guess the only thing I can do for myself at this point is be happy that I had her with me during her early years and remind myself that no matter what she will always be my baby. I guess it wouldn't hurt to suggest a little more sternly about being added to the school's speed dial...

1 comment:

  1. lol! I understand how you feel. I can't imagine letting Marli go stay with anyone throughout the day other than family! I don't have to think about it for a little while still, but I can understand how you must be feeling! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete