Friday, June 12, 2009

Staying Positive

Last night I was reflecting on the day's megrims (like how I used the word of the day?). I respectfully realized that I really should count my blessings. Times are hard, there is no doubt about that. My husband's business is being greatly affected by the economy and he finds himself in constant battles with investors and project managers. Everyone is paranoid and all the work is being watched and inspected with white gloves and magnifying glasses. My own business has seen better days. With the rise of costs and inability to raise tuition rates, I struggle to be sure that my last penny is stretched to its maximum ability.

Our daughter is going through some health issues concerning her colon, kidneys, bladder and intestines. Things seem to be progressing, not without major discomfort, but we seem to be working towards a healthy goal. I won't lie that this has not contributed to high stress levels and anxiety in our home. A parent's greatest weakness is not being able to "fix" whatever is bothering/hurting their child.

There are days when I just want to crawl back in bed, pull the covers over my head and pray for a new day, but that's not very realistic. Is it? So what keeps me going? I am very thankful for my relationship with my husband. He is a unique individual, to say the least. Even with all this turmoil, he keeps a level head and maintains a constant focus on the goals set forth. He is logical and has the will to persevere through any endeavor. He's smart. I don't mean "book smart", which he is, but he's smart in that he realizes that life is cyclical. That is something that I have learned from him and I have realized that when times are hard, we let down our anchor and wait out the storm. We hold steady, work hard at maintaining our strength and try not to rock the boat any more than we need to.

I look around at my life and I'm thankful for what I do have, which is a lot, and I remind myself that there are people out there that are not as fortunate. I have a wonderful family, great friends, my health, and the ability to work. Sulking will not get me anywhere.

I suppose that this is why I volunteer in my community. I find that when I help others, I realize that there is so much that I can give that improves the lives of others, even for a brief moment in time. With the Junior League of Annapolis, I connect with other women and we work together to strengthen each other and our community. I find a significant amount of value in my time that I devote to this organization and its cause.

So when you're feeling low, don't invalidate your feelings, we have all been there and our feelings are very very real! However, try to look at things in a larger perspective...here are some tips for staying postive from lead motivational speaker, Craig Harper:


1. I hang out with like-minded people who energize me and I avoid the energy vampires.

2. I learn from, and get inspired by, successful people.

3. I ask myself the right kind of questions – the “what can I learn from this experience” questions, rather than the “why does this happen to me” questions.

4. I regularly get excited about possibilities – sometimes too excited!

5. I don’t focus on negatives – I invest my emotional energy where it will give me the best return.

6. I change the stuff I can and I let go of the stuff I have no control over. (I struggle with this one!)

7. I am constantly setting goals. Big and small.

8. I dedicate time every day to ’switching off’ and having fun for fun’s sake. Strategic silliness.

9. I express myself creatively. It makes me happy.

10. I let myself dream. Sometimes my mind keeps me awake all night!

11. I invest time into others. People who are completely self-focused tend to have more downs than ups.

12. Whatever most people my age do, I try and avoid.

13. I regularly take stock of my life and consciously appreciate everything in it and about it. I am always acutely aware that my life is great and that I am blessed to be where I am.

14. I set high standards for myself. I want to be exceptional and do exceptional things, and I will. Not because I’m particularly talented, but because I am prepared to work harder than most. I love to explore and push the boundaries of my potential.

15. I love swimming against the tide. I love doing what most people don’t or won’t. I love being unconventional and throwing ‘logic’ out the window (now and then). Sometimes logic is a synonym for fear and ignorance.

16. I look after myself physically. I don’t smoke, drink or use drugs and I never have. Ever. Being physically fit and healthy, helps me stay focused on a mental, emotional and creative level. It’s very hard to be ‘up’ when you’re physically unwell.

17. My self-talk is positive. I don’t beat myself up. I don’t feel sorry for myself and I don’t indulge in ‘pity parties’.

18. I get great feedback and support from lots of amazing people – like you. Thanks.

19. I keep stimulated and challenged by doing lots of different stuff! I thrive on variety and change – private coaching, corporate speaking, professional writing, TV, radio, blogging, business coaching and every so often, I make an appearance at my gyms. If I had to do the same thing day in, day out, I would be in trouble. I have made a career out of my passion. I get paid to do what I love.

20. I spend quiet time alone recharging my batteries. No phone, no internet, no TV, no people, no noise, no distractions. I connect with the fat eight year-old for a while and see what he has to tell me. Sometimes the only person we don’t listen to is ourselves.

Keep Your Chin Up and STAY POSITIVE!

2 comments:

  1. When ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God. Keep it up, Alice. You are so good at putting your thoughts down on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually a really good list! I'm surprised by how simple, yet effective they can be.

    ReplyDelete